The Modern Farmhouse: Exterior Lighting



1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 

Good morning! I'm excited to share another update with you all on our home build. This past week has been busy and is only getting busier as we are quickly approaching the weekend. Our contractor sent his crew out to form up the foundation walls (yay! any progress is great progress!). They removed the forms this morning and are going back tomorrow to spray the foundation. From there, Josh, his brother and a few guys he works with will dig a trench for the electrical conduit and get our electrical panel set up and tied into the home. Since our city no longer allows temporary electricity we had to do this step sooner than anticipated. Luckily Josh's brother is a licensed electrician. We are extremely grateful to him for helping us out with all the electrical that we will be doing throughout the home building process. We will be saving nearly $5,000 doing this ourselves!!! I'm excited to get a babysitter so that I can help the boys shovel and rake rock which will be used as a filler and base for the concrete basement floors which will poured next week. So much is happening this week and it's all exciting and very exhausting. Gotta love that sweat equity ;)

We have yet to get our budget breakdown and selection calendar from our contractor but Josh and I have been busy making lists and pinning ALL THE IDEAS. If you live in Utah, you're probably familiar with the Parade of Homes. If not, this is a fun yearly event where builders and designers create beautiful homes of all kinds. The homes are available to the public to walk through and gain design ideas, meet builders, contractors, subs, etc. It starts this week and we are so excited to be attending this year to get our creative juices flowing. The past years we've gone have been strictly to see the huge homes. Seriously you guys, I'm talking 10,000 square foot homes with bowling allies, indoor swimming pools, huge saunas and exercise rooms, etc. Insane homes. This year I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the more modest homes for some budget friendly ideas :) I'm going to be sharing our walk through's on my Instagram stories so stay tuned!

As our home build keeps progressing I feel like my mind keeps a changin'. I think we've finally settled on outdoor light fixtures and the verdict is gooseneck lights. Depending on the style, I feel like they will fit in nicely with the overall modern farmhouse vibe and be a classic feature for the years to come. So let's get into our top picks...


1. Short Arm Gooseneck. I really love this one. I like to think of it as literally short and sweet. It would hug the home nicely and not overpower the other exterior design aspects like the wooden beams, metal shed roof and black framed windows. This particular light comes in a variety of lengths, sizes and colors. 

2. Classic Black. There is something I really love about the classic black gooseneck light. I feel like it will always be timeless and will really pop off the white color of the house. 

3. A Pop of Color. Again with some nice color popping :). Do we dare go bold with hunter green light fixtures? I'm kinda digging these and really feel like they would add a nice welcoming touch to the whole home. 

4. Minimal White. These are less than $45 and also comes in black. I love that they have a high and short neck but I think it would be too much white on the exterior. 

5. Mixed Elements. This is by far my favorite. We're really hoping we'll be able to afford copper gutters but if not, I think these copper light fixtures would be a pretty good second choice. They are stunning and I can just imagine how beautiful they will look adorning the white exterior. 

What's your favorite? Do you like the goosenecks? What would you do?

No comments :