House Build: Part 1 - Jumping In



I've been going back and forth with the idea of sharing our home build on my blog. I've finally decided it would be a fun way to document the whole process and hopefully help anyone who is looking into the mess that is building a house ha! So let's jump right in.

Josh and I first decided we wanted to build sometime around the beginning of the year 2016. We started doing lots of research and getting our home ready to sell, etc. We found an amazing 1/2 acre lot, we had drawn up our plans, met with builders and were getting ready to meet with an architect. We even listed our house and had a few showings. But in the back of my head I just had this uneasy feeling to wait. When it really came down to it sometime in June/July I really started praying about whether or not this was the right thing to do. I got a pretty firm NO and as hard as it was to listen, we did. We took the house off the market and just sat on it. We took the escrow money that was holding our for us back and we waited. It sucked but I just knew we needed to wait.

In November we started toying with the idea again. We met with the bank for a second time, our builder and this time an architect. Everything was looking good and lining up perfectly! Our house even increased in price by $15,000! I'm so happy we were able to be patient and listen to the promptings that were telling us to wait. I started praying again and just felt this sense of now is the right time. I felt secure in our decision and so here we are. We put down the $3,000 back on our lot (It didn't end up selling in those months we waited!). We spent some money on our architect and have another meeting with him to finalize everything and we're planning on breaking ground in March, assuming our home sells by then and we can close on our lot in February/March.

We are extremely excited and so ready to get the process really started. And I'm so excited to start documenting everything here. I'm still trying to decide if I want to talk numbers on here. Is that something you guys would be interested in? I know while I was researching custom home builds I couldn't find anything anywhere that really put down what things cost and what goes into building a home finance wise. We're not building a tract home (Edge, Ivory, etc) We're using an architect and designing the home ourselves so there are a lot of design elements that I can't wait to share with you guys and talk about where to save money and cut costs and, in my opinion, where not to! So if that's something you guys are interested in I can definitely go into detail.

Josh and I are definitely going modest with our home. I mean who doesn't want to live in a mansion but that's just not smart for us. We don't want to be house poor and we definitely want to live within our means. We just want a nice modest home that we can grow into and that our boys will remember as their childhood home. Growing up my family always rented homes so putting down roots in our own home means so much to me. We are so so fortunate to be able to do this and I feel so blessed that we get to build our forever home.

I'll be getting more into the design process and everything else in the coming months but right now we are celebrating and getting our current house ready to list on Thursday!




5 comments :

Kates said...

Girl this sounds so exciting!!! My husband and I have always talked about building a house and it just is so hard find land here in the Seattle area that's not a fortune! I've tried to find numbers and all that in my home building research as well and it's just not out there! If you're comfortable sharing, please do! Congrats girl this is awesome and I'm so happy for you! BTW, I feel like we should really connect, I've dealt with some of the same things and our boys are around the same ages. My youngest was born May 12!

HelloCopeland said...

Oh man, that's what we're worried about here in Utah. It's becoming so saturated we decided to jump on the opportunity to get some land.

Yes! I know it varies from state to state and whatnot but not being able to find anything about finances was so hard! I'll try to get a post written up that makes sense with some numbers :)

Thank you so much! We are so excited and extremely nervous haha. I would love to talk more! You can email me and Natalieleahcruz@yahoo.com. And ohhh our little may babies!! It's he best month! Email me! :)

Monica said...

I'm looking forward to hearing about this process for you. I hope everything goes well!

Tina said...

We are building a house right now! We are almost done but I would think it would have been so helpful to have some numbers to compare to! We are doing owner builder and doing a lot of the work ourselves so I know numbers will be a little different with a builder. Its been a long challenging process, I'm excited to follow your journey! Good luck!

Christine @ Apple of My Eye said...

So exciting! Building a house has been something on my mind as well and I personally would love to know numbers! It would be great to have someone be transparent about everything to help others out with the process! :)