Snow Clay Hand Print Ornament

I


I was so excited to do this project with Copeland this year. I have a couple hand print clay forms that I did when I was little with my mom and sister. My mom hangs them on the Christmas tree every year and It's so fun to see them.

This recipe is so awesome because it is so silky soft! Copeland loved just playing with it and pushing the cookie cutters onto it. When it came time to actually get his hand print it was a little hard to get him to be interested in sitting still and letting me press his fingers down but after a couple different tries we finally got one that didn't look completely awful.

So I just googled a recipe. I just needed a small batch since I wanted to do only one big hand print ornament for us and then two small thumbprint ornaments for the grandparents. This recipe worked out perfectly!


Snow Baking Soda Dough 
1 cup Baking Soda
1/2 cup Corn Starch
3/4 cup Warm Water

Mix dry ingredients in a medium sized saucepan.
Add in warm water.
Heat over medium high heat, stirring constantly.
The mixture will start to bubble. Just keep stirring.
Eventually it will start forming into a dough with the consistency of mashed potatoes.
Once you reach that consistency remove from the stove and place the dough onto some wax paper or a cutting board. Let it cool for a few minutes and then start kneading it to get it really soft. I added a little bit of corn starch to it as I was kneading to keep it from sticking to the cutting board.

Once it's soft and pliable roll it out and start getting creative! You can make anything you want out of this dough. We decided to make a hand print ornament keepsake. I just used a bowl to cut out a circle and then helped Copeland press his hand down. Push a straw into the top to get a hole in which the ribbon will be placed. Set it aside to dry for the next couple of days, tie a ribbon through the hole and voila! We painted the date and Copeland's name on the ornament but you can even sketch that into the dough before it hardens if you'd like.

Also! Instead of letting it air dry you could also put it in parchment paper on a cookie sheet and bake for 45 minutes- an hour at 175 degrees :) 

We had a lot of fun doing this little project while listening to Christmas music and by the time we finished Copeland was ready for a nap :)

I hope you guys enjoy this and try it! Happy holidays friends! 


1 comment :

Kelly Linn Feller said...

Thanks for posting this! I've been wanting to make these with Odette. I think a handprint ornament is the perfect little gift for grandparents! XO