Copeland's New Room || DIY Projects


Hi ladies!

So today I'm really excited to share some fun projects I've been working
on for Copeland's new room! And although, at the rate I'm going, his room
probably won't be fully finished for about another month or so, it's slowly
coming together and it has been so fun! 

So the reason im redoing his room is because his room is extremely plain.
It's white with white furniture and a few pops of color here and there. But mostly
it's pretty boring. It was great for when he was a newborn but now that he's getting
so smart and so alert, I feel like it's time to add in some texture, fun, whimsy and
just more interesting things for him to look at and play with. 

If you follow me on Pinterest, you probably have noticed I've been pinning lots of
nurseries and children rooms, getting lots of inspiration. I've been collecting things
for a few months now and finally have decided to just get it done and finish his room.
I decided to go with a outdoor rustic theme. Copeland LOVES being outside and loves,
no is obsessed, with animals. It's so cute. He is the most loving little guy ever :)
Anyway, with the rustic theme, the main focal point will be this gigantic buffalo head
made from yarn and fabric. I'm obsessed and Copeland constantly runs up and gives it
kisses and hugs. It's seriously the sweetest.


For this project I followed THIS tutorial and it took me about a week to finish which
was SO long, I seriously debated finishing it because of how long it took me but after
all said and done, it was so worth it! It's my favorite part of his new room!


In the tutorial, she used the tips of deer antlers for the buffalo horns. I didn't have
any antlers so I just made some horns out of paper mâché and then painted it with
3 different colors of acrylic paint. I love how they turned out!


Okay next project. I made this weave wall hanging in about a day and a half.
I'm obsessed with it!!! I really want to make one for every room now! I've been
wanting to make one or buy one for forever but never wanted to spend the money
(these things are pricey!) and honestly didn't think I'd be able to make one myself.
But I used THIS tutorial which was great for me because you just need to use a picture
frame as the loom! For anyone wanting to make a weave I highly recommend it! It was very therapeutic and they look awesome!


Next project: Paper Mache Cactus. To make the paper mâché cactus I just crumpled 
up newspaper and used masking tape to mold and shape it. THIS tutorial is great for 
a visual on how to mold newspaper. After I molded, taped and smoothed out my sculptures 
I made THIS paper mâché paste and used ripped up newspaper to finish it. I let it dry 
overnight and then painted them using acrylic paint from Hobby Lobby and toothpicks 
for the thorns and that's it! I bought a couple terra cotta pots and hot glued the cacti into 
the pots and then used old brown yarn scraps for the dirt. 

Hehe Josh said these looked inappropriate but they turned out so cute after I painted them! Haha 

This is the first time that I've done paper mâché. I loved it and it was so fun to make 
exactly what I had been wanting and it's really fun to make cool sculptures for your home! 

Some other decor that will be in Copeland's new room will include this amazing and
HUGE picture. It's about 3x4 feet and it's just perfectly framed and just waiting to be
put in s room. This picture was actually Josh's grandparents and it has been sitting in
our garage for a while. I love that it will now be a part of Copelands room :) 

I will also be incorporating some globes, fun blankets, a large colorful rag rug and lots of comfy 
and cute pillows and cushions. Oh and copper! Lots and lots of copper accents! 

I have a few more projects in the works that I will share in the next month or so but
I was so happy with how these turned out so I couldn't wait to share it with you guys!

So what do you think? Will you try any of these fun projects!? I would love to see pictures if you do! 

4 comments :

monica yard said...

This is the cutest!! You are so creative!! I started following you on pinterest too :)

shawna mecham said...

It came out so cute!!!! l love it!

Karra said...

I just bought a weave (@wildplumco) check her out, so reasonable priced but now you have me wanting to make one!!

allison wall said...

Are you kidding me with these projects?! SO cute! I am so impressed! And jealous of your skills! Can't wait to see the finished project!