As a lot of you have already noticed, I set my blog to private. It was a spur of the moment kind of thing and I just really needed to think about some things.

The other day I came across a website. It's basically where a bunch of, I'm guessing, middle aged women get together and bash pretty much anyone and everyone who has any kind of a blog or Instagram account. There's a thread or forum on almost any blogger you've ever followed or come across and there just so happens to be one on me! I know! I was pretty shocked to find it. I mean with such a small following, I figured I'd be the last of anyone's wrath. But nope, even the smallest of the smalls get talked about there. I guess that's just how desperate they are for new material. 

When I first started reading the comments, I was really upset and hurt. Like loss of appetite and nauseas kind of upset. Thinking about it now it's pretty comical how badly I let it get to me. When my husband got home I told him about it and told him how upset I was. So he went on there to see what on earth I was so hurt over. As he was reading he started laughing, which made me even more red in the face. Are you seriously laughing? He looked at me and asked if I was seriously upset at the comments made. Of course I am! And he laughed some more. He said he couldn't even believe I even gave a second thought about the things that were said. He couldn't believe I cared what strangers online were saying. "If you've got this many people talking about you, clicking on your blog, stalking your accounts, you're doing something right. There's no such thing as bad publicity." As I sat there and listened to him I started seeing what he saw. The mundane, petty comments, most of which were recycled from other forums of other bloggers and all of which were extremely predictable. 

We both had a good laugh reading through the whole thread. I even laughed at myself from some of the extremely old posts they dug up and criticized. And I realized that there will always be critics (not that the people on this forum are any kind of real critic with any sort of credentials or value). If any of the points they were making we're actually valid, many of the bloggers they talk about would either have stopped blogging or would have changed their formats. But as most of you may know these top bloggers continue to blog and continue making money off of it. However, people will always find or make the time to be mean and with social media it's such easy access for these people to hide behind computers and say whatever they want with no consequences. What a life, right?  If I'm being completely honest with you guys, I've been one of those girls, wayyyyy way back in high school and thank The Lord I grew up then and found confidence in myself and the true happiness in life because living with that kind of deep seated animosity is a heavy burden to carry through out ones self. 

If I've learned anything from this it's that gossiping continues throughout life and there will always be petty people who hate what you're doing, who mock you and try to tear you down. Apparently there are even "top contributors" on this site who eat, sleep and breathe every little thing you put out there. But that comes with the use of social media and I get that. So I brushed off the silly things that were said and will continue to blog. Not only do I love blogging and connecting with other amazing moms and forming great relationships with you guys but blogging for me is my income. It's a job that I have designated hours set aside for. I feel so lucky I get to do something I enjoy while making money from it. So I guess all I can say to the people of those forums is thank you for keeping me in business and being supporting customers by clicking on my blog :)  

And to everyone who emailed, asking what was going on, thank you! It meant the world to me to know there are decent people who follow my blog. I really appreciate and love you guys! You are the reason I  want to continue to blog and the reason why it's enjoyable for me. I love hearing your opinions, your comments and your stories. I know I don't always comment back and I really try to, it's just sometimes Copeland has woke from his nap or wants to play and it's hard for me to respond. I hope you all can understand that. But I do read each comment and very much appreciate you. I'm sorry and feel so dumb that I even let something so stupid get to me haha. There has just been so much going on in my life lately which starts building up inside of you and just one small thing, no matter how extremely small and pointless it is, can bring everything kept inside up to the surface and release a lot of other emotions and thoughts. 

I really went back and forth on posting this but wanted to let you guys know why I just changed everything to private without notice. 


18 comments :

Camden said...

Natalie-
I've been a reader of your blog for probably six months now, and I absolutely love it! I have to tell you that as I was reading your blog post the ONLY thing I was thinking was how absolutely pathetic it is that people are sitting around bashing someones BLOG for crying out loud. That is so unbelievably ridiculous I can't even fathom it. Honestly, so so crazy. Just the fact that they'd have to do some serious blog stalking to write about somebody is pretty hypocritical of what they are attempting to do. Sounds like a bunch of nasty, hateful and jealous people to me.

I hope you haven't let it go to your head past that initial reaction (can't help those!) because your blog is so cute and it'd be so silly to let some weirdos like that actually affect you.

*hugs*

Rachel Harbour-Petersen said...

"YOU CAN BE THE RIPEST, JUCIEST PEACH IN THE WHOLE WORLD AND THERE WILL STILL BE SOMEONE WHO HATES PEACHES." DITA VON TESSE

Your blog is wonderful and you are beautiful- inside and out. I love this quote and I constantly have to remind myself of it. Hang in there!

Jillian Finfrock said...

I LOVE your blog, I was sad to see it set to private & was worried I wouldn't be able to read it anymore. Glad you are back! :)

Megan Depczynski said...

Glad you are back, but sad to hear the reasoning behind the private setting. It truly is ridiculous how some people spend their time hating.

I am a mom of an almost 6 month old son, so I love coming to your blog and reading what you have to say. Again, glad you will continue blogging :)

Katie Bushell said...

Hi dear. I don't have a blog and i don't have many followers but I had a similar experience with social media. I was doing a charity and people were extremely rude and one even called me the devil. I know that nauseating feeling you are talking about. I could not sleep or eat for days. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Words really do hurt. So let them hurt but let them go. Its okay that it got to you. I'm glad your husband was supportive and helped you see the positive. I know you are a sweet person so it doesn't matter. Because it's OK ��

Whitney M. @ The Married Me said...

I hate that site! It's so rude!

They seriously have to be jealous of you. I hate when people say that but in your case I believe it to be true. You are stylish and beautiful. You have an adorable family and are very crafty. They would pick apart Jesus and Mother Theresa!

Tiffany Torgusson said...

I am so sorry that this happened to you although I can't say that I am surprised. There are people out there who literally thrive on the drama and get excitement out of it and it is so sad. Of course you would be a target because you are a beautiful young mom with a beautiful family and jealousy is the root of a lot of that animosity. I came to your blog to tell you how absolutely adorable you are and your outfit and hair were amazing. Then I saw it was private and was so confused! I was hoping to find a tutorial for your braided hair and was so disappointed lol! I'm glad you shook the haters off. I love your blog and apparently they do too!

shawna mecham said...

I Love you SISTER! you are the most beautiful Amazing Person I know. your my example and Role model, And Copland it the cutest little stud I know. he is the prefect little baby boy. mom told me what people said and people like that just wish they had your life. doesn't matter if your the prettiest person on earth theirs always some one that's going to make something up to put you down. your amazing blogger I always love reading what you have to say. Its like my APD people are always going to make fun of me for it and finally I just came to that fact its a disorder ill never be able to get rid of. I have my beautiful left brain to make up for my lost of my right side LOL. I have the option to ignore them or to dwell over what they say about me. just wipe it off and keep blogging your amazing at it and not a lot of people have the talent you have to make such amazing blog. I love you Natalie and I Love COPELAND! your the best sister anyone could ask for and I'm so blessed to have you as my sister. be Happy brush them off and just keep Blogging!

just like this quote form Dr. Seuss "Be who you are and say how you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind"

:) LOVE YOU! - Shawna

Seppo said...

I love your blog and I really hope you won't let those people ruin your blogger life. Please don't change your feelings about posting pictures of your beautiful family and writing this amazing blog, so many people enjoy this blog. You are talented and beautiful!

Eve Shelton said...

Hi Natalie! I absolutely love your blog! Copeland is so adorable and handsome! You are an inspiration to many mommas out there! Keep up your amazing blog! You are talented, gorgeous, positive, sweet and kind! I am so happy that I am able to read your blog again!

:) Eve

Tracey Brock said...

I am very glad you made your blog public again. I would have missed you! I have a son a few weeks older than yours and that is how I found your blog back when you were pregnant and did a review on the Graco Modes carriage that I was going to buy (and did buy). I am lurker but I love reading your blog. I am quite jealous of the fact you lost all your baby weight and I’m still holding onto a LOT of mine and how you manage to look so put together all the time (I have been looking not put together all of the time these days). You are very motivating and an inspiration to me but I am not the catty/hater type. I would suggest you try to adopt Josh’s outlook on the whole incident that the whole thing is kind of like free publicity. I am sure your blog/advertisers give you some type income to and if you shut it down you are letting these “mean girls” win because you would lose out on all that. Not to sound to catty myself but seriously these women have nothing better to do than talk smack about someone they have never even met on an anonymous forum. That is how pathetic their lives are and how cowardly they are. They aren’t even being catty about someone they know in “real life” and have to be catty about someone they will never even meet in person. I think you need to go listen to the Taylor Swift song “Shake it Off” and dance around your house with Copeland because it will totally cheer you up and I think some of the lyrics totally apply to this situation. I think you should rise above the whole situation because these women are clearly super jealous “and the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.”

Shantell Rasmussen said...

Crazy people! I'm a new blogger and love following your cute blog, like the many other Mommies!

Jenny said...

I have followed you for almost two years and also follow you on IG. You are so sweet, down to earth and genuine and I have always loved all your content. I especially love your videos, you seem so real! :)
Please don't let them get to you, I know it's hard to read stuff like that at first, but it's them that are the ones who should be sad. They have no life and nothing that makes them happy.
xoxo jenny

we are the bear rats. said...

I never followed you until recently but have came across your IG and blog several times and LOVED reading about your cute boy and getting back in shape after having him. You're such an inspiration! Keep it up:)

Lindsay lynheartslife said...

It's a shame that there are people out there so self conscience that they need to bring other people down so that they can feel higher. Just keep being you, you're fabulous!

In the words of Ellen "Haters are my motivators" ;)

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...

That sucks! I love reading your blog; it's got super cute ideas and you are so relatable! Keep it up :)

annie valentine said...

Friend, I'm so sorry. I've been writing in print journalism for years now about my personal life and it's incredible how once in a while someone will just dislike you because they can. And yes, sweet husbands are right, but in my case reading through mean comments only makes me run for the toilet. One sentence in from a reader is all I give it, and if it's at all mean, like, "You are the worst wife on the planet," I delete (not that it happens very often, but I usually don't see it coming). My girlfriend wrote a "funny" article for a major newspaper about her husband's football obsession and they printed it on the sports page. Can we just say it wasn't received very well by the men of the universe? Her husband read aloud through literally hundreds of comments, trying to help her see how stupid they were. She tried really hard to laugh with him but honestly, it kind of ate her stomach apart.
Regardless, I think you have a wonderful blog, I'm totally stealing the Rapunzel costume you made last year for my girls next year (we're already locked into a mermaid and a punk rock ladybug). Good luck, keep it coming.