DIY Upholstered Headboard || Tutorial


This man can do it all, I swear! 

I've been really wanting an upholstered headboard for our bedroom, 
but living on a students income, money is not easy to come by for 
things like this so I asked my husband to make me one and he did! 
Once all his finals were out of the way of course :) 

I LOVE how it turned out! It's exactly what we needed in our bedroom to make it more "complete".
We did it all for around $45 too so there's that huge bonus :)

Supplies

1 - 4x8 Wood Board. We got the cheapest kind, which is only about 1/2" thick and was $10!
1- Canvas Drop Cloth. The 6x8 one for about $10 as well. 
1- Roll of Batting. I got mine at walmart for $5
1- Foam Mattress Pad (Queen Size). I also purchased this at Walmart! 
Staple Gun
Saw

**These pictures are terrible quality! Hopefully you'll be able to get the gist of what is going on**

:)
So you'll need to figure out what shape you would like for your headboard. 
I wanted it to be curved on top but we didn't own a jigsaw at the time so we just dog-eared the corners. 
Josh making the marks for the corner cuts.
I washed the drop cloth and ironed it before we stapled it. 
I also laid everything down first for a few nights to let the wrinkles out of the mattress pad.

So you will first lay down your drop cloth, then the batting then the foam pad last.
Wrap everything around and staple!
For the legs, we used 2x4's and just measured how high up we wanted the
 headboard to sit off the floor, then screwed the legs on. 

I am in love with it and we are on to making a couple nightstands!!

















3 comments :

Kelly Linn Feller said...

Love this! My husband is awesome at doing all the crazy DIY ideas I come up with too :) Isn't it great having a handy hubby?

XO Kelly

www.dettecakes.com

Kate Fischer said...

It's perfect for your perfect fam.

Stacy Fusitua' said...

Love! Is this tutorial for a Queen or King Bed?