Mama Overload




Do you ever get the feeling as a mother that you should be doing more. 
Like if you don't blog everyday, if you don't take pinterest worthy pictures, 
or if you don't own a shop then just whats the point?

Sometimes I just feel like I'm on mama overload. 
I feel like I just made this amazing dinner and Copeland took 3 naps 
today and then I go on Pinterest or Instagram and someone else has 
done more + is running an awesome online business or just took 
the most beautiful styled pictures of their babies!
What!?

Maybe I'm the only one that feels completely crappy sometimes over this. 
But I feel like everywhere I turn someone else has 
opened a business or has done something amazing 
and I'm just sitting here... being a mom. 

And I should be totally happy with that right!? 
I'm a mom! 
I love being a mom. 

But don't you ever feel like you should be doing more? 
I know I do and this is my pledge to stop

To stop comparing and to stop letting this make me feel bad about myself. 

This is my pledge to be happy.
To be happy with being a mom and wife. 
To be happy and love this point in my life. 
To be the best mom I can and to stop worrying about pretty
Pinterest pictures and perfect Instagram moms. 

To play and laugh and tickle and grow my babies imagination. 
To sing and dance and explore with him. 

And although this is embarrassing to admit, 
I want to stop worrying about being perfect. 
I am far from it and don't want that to define how I feel. 

I do amazing things. I take care of a human being. 
A being that would not survive without me. 
That is amazing and a huge responsibility.
I keep my little guy fed, changed and happy e v e r y d a y. 
No days off, no breaks. 

I'm in awe of moms who can run businesses or have a ton of side hobbies and be amazing moms too. 
You all are amazing! 

But for me I feel like at this time in my life, at this moment, I need to 
be a mom and that's it. To step back and take a break from social media. 
To stop comparing and just be happy with where I'm at in my life. 
Because this time will pass by so quickly. I will never have these moments back. Ever. I need to live now. To be present. To be happy and just love this life. This ever changing life. 

It's weird, I use to be so positive and extremely optimistic and it seems the more social media has become such a huge point, the more it has taken away some of my innocence and optimism. That's a terrible thing. I need to do a complete 360. I miss the happiness my soul use to feel, the light I use to have. This is my pledge to get it back. 

I really hope I don't offend anyone with this post. 
I hope some of you can understand where I'm coming from and 
be inspired to stop letting comparison steal your joy and light because you are amazing. Don't ever let social media define who you are. 






7 comments :

Anonymous said...

As a mother of 2 boys I felt the pressure of being perfect. I fell into a depression so deep the only way I felt to get out of it was pain pills. I am proud to say now I am in a much better state of mind and I don't feel that pressure any more. Keep your support system strong and close to you. Let your loved ones build you up and know that no matter what no one is perfect no matter what their social media site looks like. Keep your head up doll face you doing an awesome job.

Val @ Chicken Scratch. said...

Something my husband and I do is use our iPhones photo stream as our own personal Instagram through the day. Our phones are on a "cloud" so he can see what I'm taking photos of and vice versa. I love it. I love seeing him take a little snippet of his day at work..or taking a photo or video of himself for me to show the kids…and he LOVES seeing what we are up to. I may be just tantrums and laundry but it still is our life and something to be proud of.
When I go back through the photo stream…thats the "social media" that makes me feel best. They aren't perfect shots. Unedited. Real life. But it makes me feel proud of every day of our lives.
I hope if you don't already do something like this that you will try it and focus on that.
But at the end of the day…your an AMAZING mama! Your so in tune. Hang in there. We all have struggles…no matter how perfect our IG may look. ;-)

Kristen said...

I totally agree with you comments about social media. It's hard not to make a mama feel "less than". I made a point at the beginning of 2014 to edit out some social media and spend more time focusing on the people right in front of me that I spend my every days with! Loved your post!

britt said...

Love this post mama and I can totally relate! I have been feeling so much the same and am planning on making some blog/ig changes to reflect that. All the time I will show Zach a picture and ask "Do i just suck? Do I have horrible time management? Why can't I be like this too" and he usually instantly takes away my phone and reminds me what an amazing mom I am. You're the best mama and you will never regret taking a step back to be present with Cope because you are right, this won't last forever. I don't think anyone looks back on their first year with their baby and wishes they were busier. Anyway, loved your post. I adore you and your cute family!
xox
Britt

FDINT Papua New Guinea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelsey said...

Thank you so much for this post! I have been feeling the EXACT same way lately. Sometimes I start to feel so bad about myself because for whatever reason I feel like I'm not doing enough. Why should anyone feel bad about being "just a mom"? There is nothing wrong with that! Thank you for sharing your perspective. It has really helped me to realize that it's not just me that feels this way sometimes.
PS I had the same due date as you back in August and it was so fun to be able to follow along with your pregnancy!

Jessa Pearson said...

No. Joke.

Like really pinterest? You have four kids, a busy blog, and you're making ridiculous time consuming easter eggs that look like works of art... AND HERE'S AN EASY DIY TUTORIAL..

Pause not. My kids will be happily, skill-lessly kerplunking their eggs into far too many colors. Our easter eggs will be joyfully poop colored. Just like their hands. And probably mine too.

Life is a lot more fun when you can just enjoy and appreciate what you have, instead of always trying to make it BETTER, or have MORE, or compete.