Out For The Count.

So my sweet momma friend over at XOMRSMEASOM is seriously the cutest in all the land 
and if you're not following her, you're missing out! 

She has a series of posts called Truthful Fridays and it's amazing! 
To connect and read about how motherhood really is, not the glitter and confetti we put on Instagram everyday of how we all think it should be in our heads, but how messy and trying it can truly be at times.
It's refreshing. 

Anyway, I know today isn't Friday but I'm feeling extremely truthful and well accomplished today :)

For the past 5 days now, Copeland has gone down consistently for 3 naps during the day. All lasting an average of 60-90 minutes! 

I have never felt so accomplished.
I have been able to have a little bit of me time. 
Whether I spend that time cleaning or watching funny YouTube videos. 
It's the time I can take to do whatever I please and not feel guilty for leaving Copeland on his play mat. 

Because truthfully, I do feel guilty when I can't spend every ounce of my attention on him. 
Is that unhealthy? 
According to my pediatrician yeah! 
Haha but he's my number 1 priority right now. 
He's 5 months old. He's completely dependent on me and I love that.
And when the time comes, I will teach him how to be independent but for now
he's my baby and I will spoil him with everything I've got. 

BUT.
Truthfully spending every ounce of everything I've got on him is trying. 
Or, it is for me anyways (especially when he would not take a nap AT ALL throughout the day) 
and so him going down for naps has been such a relief! 

However, if I'm really being truthful I'll have to admit...
I always hear moms say "Oh that's his hungry cry." 
"When he cries like this it's because he's just tired." and so on. 

I honestly thought I must be a terrible mother because truthfully my kid's cries all sound the same!
I have no clue when he's hungry, when he's tired, when he's bored, when he wants to be held, etc. because of the way his cry sounds. The way I know is from the time. 
"Oh it's been 2 hours, okay ya, he's hungry." 

Honestly it took me until about a week ago to finally get on a real schedule. 

I'm just now starting to understand what my baby needs. 
Before when he was fussy after being up for more than two hours I just thought, he's a baby, he's fussy.
But now I realize, he's been up for two hours and he's exhausted.
We both were.


Holy Cow!
It took me 5 whole months to figure that out!? 
Yep and I feel so accomplished and on top of the world because of it :)

For me, my thought process was, "If he's tired, he'll fall asleep."
HA! 
It took a while for me to get a routine going.
But now when I sing a certain song and rock him in his room, it's like he knows it's nap time
 and he's out for the count. 

I'm a new mom. 
I have no idea what I'm doing sometimes but I know Copeland is okay with that
and we are both learning together what we need from this mommy baby relationship.

Now if only I could figure out how to get him to sleep through the night in his crib ;)


what do you have to be truthful about?
Is being a new mom as glamorous as we all see it to be on Instagram?




3 comments :

The Blissful Brown's said...

I think every mama feels guilty about those things! It's so hard not to! But we are good mamas and we do have to make a little time for ourselves or we will go crazy. I've learned you have to take what other parents say with a grain of salt because every baby and every mama is different! I learn new things every day with Foster! xo

Val @ Chicken Scratch. said...

Being a Mama is HARD!!!!!!!!! But trust me when I say this: Only you know what is best for him and YOU!. Always trust yourself and your instincts. There is def. a learning curve…and then you figure it all out ..and then you have your second child and they are nothing like the first. Sometimes I have felt just as lost the second time around as I did the first time. Finding all the balance is just so hard. It's a daily struggle. You are doing amazingly and things will get easier with time!!

Brianna Trejo said...

Hi Natalie! I am also a first mommy, & I am loving every single minute of it! I have also 'spoiled' my little girl Everley, those times where it's just us we will never get back again. So don't feel bad just do whatever you think is best!
I do have the best thing to tell you though, which has helped me tremendously! It's a book my cousin suggested I read on baby sleep. Everley has been sleeping through the night, with her naps during the day since she was one week old! She is now 11 weeks old & still has healthy sleep habits. She has just started this week putting herself to sleep for her naps & staying asleep for two hours! She has been been doing that for night time sleep as well. So the name of this amazing book is Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth. I hope the book helps you as much as it has helped Evie & I!