The Great Debate

Copeland is coming up on his 2 month appointment. 
I hardly can believe it's been almost 2 months.

Anyway, I'm really fighting myself and going back and forth 
on whether or not I should get Cope vaccinated or more so, 
if I hold off on giving him all 5 vaccines that are suggested at 2 months of age. 

I've been doing some research and reading the pros/cons of all the different
suggested vaccines as well as the side effects/benefits of each one. 

But there is so much information on all of this. 
I feel like I'm driving myself crazy. 

I've been considering doing a alternative schedule for him and starting out with just giving him
 the HIB and IPV at 4 months instead of 2 months and holding off on the DTaP, Hep B and Prevnar 
until later on in his little life. 

I'm just extremely scared of him having bad side effects to the vaccines. 
I am severely allergic to many medicines and it scares me that he might be too. 

I've been praying and will continue to pray until I reach a decision at which I'm at peace with. 
But I just would like to get some more input from you mamas! 

I know this can be a very heated subject, so please don't be hateful. 
:) 

7 comments :

kye ericka allyson ruby stella ❤ said...

I totally understand it being such a huge decision. I have three girls and all of them have gotten their vaccines at the suggested age & we have never had any problem whatsoever. I know this is a very personal decision, but it sounds like you are leaning towards spacing the vaccinations out and if that makes you feel more comfortable do that!!

Nicole [Haus of Harnois] said...

I went back and forth on this for a while. So far, we have given Eisley all of her vaccines on schedule but I do have a couple friends that have decided to use the Dr. Sears schedule of delayed vaccinations!

Megan said...

I'm struggling with the same thing, we have our 2 month soon. I know i am not giving my little guy the hep b, i don't think it is needed. As the other 4 go i was thinking about splitting them up or waiting all together, but i don't have allergies or anything.
If that is your main concern i would just split them up so if he does have a reaction it's easier to know what it's from.

Whitney M. @ The Married Me said...

I want to warn you about putting off the DTaP vaccine. Pertussis is on the rise in the US and when babies contract it, it can be deadly. The vaccination requires a booster in adults (I'm sure you were forced to receive it) but most adults are up to date with their immunity. 83% of deaths occur in children under 3 months.

This is from the Sounds of Pertussis website:
Nationally, pertussis is on the rise.8 This disease is potentially fatal, especially in infants.1,2 In 2008, 16 of the 18 deaths from pertussis in the US were in babies aged 3 months and younger.8 And 61% of babies younger than 12 months who get pertussis end up in the hospital.

You can check out the website for more information: http://www.soundsofpertussis.com/what-is-pertussis.cfm

Miranda Tasker said...

There is a major out break of Pretusus going around the country right now, which is part of what the TDaP vaccine prevents. Good luck and keep praying mama!

Ashley said...

I agree with the pertussis comments. With the season upon us and those icky germs everywhere, I think it's important for both parents and babes. As a NICU nurse, I've seen many babies come back in with some nasty, nasty respiratory issues and to have it be one that's preventable is unfortunate. That said, I don't hate the altered vaccine schedule. You know what's best for your little man!

Jessie said...

I personally have not had any problems with my two boys following the schedule, but go with your gut mama. He is your baby and you are his mama. You know what is best. I just think it's extremely important to get them vaccinated one way or another.